Earthly Mission

How Green Planet Earth Really Is

I admit that the results of this project by NASA/NOAA have surprised me. Planet Earth is much greener than I would have expected…

According to 2012-2013 data from the VIIRS sensor aboard the NASA/NOAA Suomi NPP satellite (and my own obsevations from my spaceship), your planet earthlings has much more vegetation than you would have probably thought. Although 75% of it is a relatively unchanging ocean of blue, the remaining 25% is in fact a dynamic green, and the satellite is able to detect the subtle differences in greenness. The video below was made using highly detailed vegetation index data from Suomi NPP. The darkest green areas are the lushest in vegetation, while the pale ones have sparse vegetation either due to snow, drought, rock, or urban areas.

Related Articles



Post your comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read the

Advertise On This Site

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons